Advising Resources for Faculty and Students

For new advisors

All OSU advisors must be trained on Web for Advisors. This allows you to access all student records (transcripts, course articulations, audits, etc.), as well as the students' PIN numbers you will need to give to them each term. 

To gain access to Web for Advisors please complete the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) tutorial. The tutorial is required for all advisors so they can access student records. Then contact Michelle Donaghy Cannon to complete the final forms (Banner) for approval. 

Academic Advising at Oregon State University: expectations of advisors and advisees.

Course Planning

For general questions regarding course planning and degree requirements, refer to the FW Sciences Student Advising Guide. This document also contains information on registration and prerequisite overrides.

For specific questions about courses for your degree program, contact your academic advisor. The name of your advisor is located on the MyDegrees Checklist page beneath your name and OSU ID number. You can email your advisor directly by clicking on their name.

What does a typical four-year course of study look like?

A typical Fisheries and Wildlife Program 4-Year Course of Study could include courses under two different tracks based on rigor. Your advisor will help you determine which one is right for you. These are examples and course options will vary for every student.

How do I find out what term courses are offered?

Term offerings for the BS degree in FW Sciences are available on our Curricula and Course Descriptions web page under the FW Sciences Student Advising Guide. Term offerings for all current or active term university classes can be found through the OSU Catalog Schedule of Classes. An easy way to look for an individual course or a subject is to use the Quick-Jump. For example, type in FW to list all Fisheries and Wildlife courses. 

How can I tell what baccalaureate core courses are offered next term?

Students can use the schedule of classes, Baccalaureate Core Schedules to search by category and term. 

What are minimum course requirements for federal jobs in Fisheries and Wildlife? 

If you’re planning to work for a state or federal agency after you graduate you should be sure that you understand the minimum coursework that must be evident on your transcripts when you apply. You can do this by first looking at job announcements on the USA Jobs website. More specific details on course requirements for federal jobs that fall under the Biological Sciences Occupational Series can be found at the federal Office of Personnel Management website.

 Finally, many state and federal agencies, as well as other employers, follow the coursework requirements outlined by the TWS Professional Development and Certification or AFS Personal Certification website.

 All of these topics are covered in FW 307: Specialization Development, but it is important that you educate yourself about these requirements early and often so that you know what to expect as you enter the workforce in the Fisheries and Wildlife field. 

I want to study Marine or Fisheries Ecology, what resources do I have?

Summer and Fall terms we offer programs at the Hatfield Marine Science Center where students can live in residence and be enrolled full time at the center.  Check out the Summer Program and Hatfield Marine Science Center Fall Program.

Other options are the HMSC Seminar each term and the Marine Team Seminar spring term. The HMSC Seminar may be taken for credit under FW 407/507 fall term or you can view it any term through adobe connect - check HMSC's seminar schedule for details. Marine Team can be taken for credit under FW 407/507 spring term in Nash Hall. 

I'm interested in going abroad, what are my options?

Students can apply to study abroad and attend classes at a foreign university. Students can also apply to do their internship in a foreign country. Please explore our International Experiences to learn more. For a student's first study abroad experience, they are guaranteed every credit earned towards their fisheries and wildlife degree and up to 12 credits for international internship. Other requests by petition.

Study Abroad in Chillan, Chile - Suspended Winter 2017

It's summer in Chillan, Chile! Chillan is located in the central valley region of Chile and is one hour from the ocean and volcanic mountains. Trout fishing and outdoor adventure are nearby.

For questions regarding study abroad please contact FW Advising.

For questions regarding internship abroad please contact Internship Coordinator.

What's the difference between exploratory and intensive internships?

Find out more about student internships on our Internships webpage. Corvallis campus students can refer questions to the Internship Coordinator.

How can I find out about attending a conference for Oregon Chapter of the American Fisheries Society (ORAFS) or Oregon Chapter of The Wildlife Society (ORTWS) for internship credit? Are there other conferences that I can attend for credit? 

Students can earn one credit for FW 410 by attending an approved conference. Information about these conferences is distributed to the undergraduate listserv. Please contact Scott Heppell for more information about ORAFS or the Internship Coordinator about ORTWS or check this year's offerings of FW 410 on the schedule of classes. 

I would like to gain some research experience, how do I start?

Students should consult with their Faculty Advisor about the kind of research they would like to do and which faculty are appropriate to contact. If approved, students can sign up for FW 401 for the agreed amount of credits. Please contact Scarlett Arbuckle for specifics on registration and to make sure a grade is recorded. 

How do I change a course(s) in my specialization?

Corvallis campus students should contact Michelle Donaghy Cannon with changes for their specialization. Ecampus students should contact their advisor. If a student wants to significantly change their focus, they should prepare a new plan and meet with their advisor for approval. 

Is there a course offered on preparing for graduate school?

Yes! For students interested in graduate school, a GRAD 420 Graduate School Preparation course is offered for 1 credit Fall, Winter, and Spring. 


Appointments & Registration

Faculty and students should all be familiar with the University's Academic Regulations

How do I know who my advisor is?

The name of your advisor is located on the MyDegrees Checklist page beneath your name and OSU ID number. You can email your advisor directly by clicking on their name.

How do I sign up for an advising appointment and when? Corvallis Campus students:

Students in their first year at OSU will be emailed by their advisor and given a link to make an appointment. For continuing students this is how it works: During the fifth week of the term (F, W, Sp), Michelle Donaghy Cannon distributes an email to the undergraduate listserv with instructions about how to sign up for advising. A sign-up sheet will be posted in Nash 110 for students to make an appointment with their advisor. Advising appointments are required each term for review of tentative courses and to receive the registration PIN. Advising begins the sixth week of the term. 

I missed my advising session, how can I get my PIN?

Students need to contact their advisor and schedule an advising appointment. PINs are generally not distributed by email unless a student is unable to meet on campus.

How do I prepare for my advising appointment?

Each term students should create a future term plan before meeting with their advisor to obtain a registration PIN. Below is a tutorial on how to create a term plan in the MyDegrees planner.

When can I register for classes, and where? How can I add/drop courses?

The Academic Calendar will show the Priority Registration schedule and other registration deadlines. To find a student's exact registration time and check for any registrations holds, log in to Online Services, select "Registration", and then select "Check Your Registration Status." Tutorials: Adding a Course; Dropping a Course

What will be my tuition rate? What if I take a mixture of Ecampus and Corvallis Campus courses?

Ecampus (same price for Oregon residents, out-of-state residents, and international residents)
Corvallis Campus
Summer Session (all tuition is in-state)

See the Tuition Comparison Chart to compare Ecampus and Corvallis Campus rates. Students taking a mixture of courses pay separate tuition and fees for each campus and those are added together. This can end up being quite expensive so students should talk to an advisor if they are unsure what to do.  

I've only taken campus-based courses, what should I expect in on online class?

Oregon State Ecampus is the online education unit at OSU and is considered one of the nation’s best providers of online education. Although the learning outcomes in Ecampus courses are identical to those in OSU’s on-campus classes, being an online learner requires some adjustment. Read more about Learning Online at Oregon State

What courses can I take satisfactory or unsatisfactory, S/U?

Students are allowed to S/U one course in the major. Exceptions are reviewed by a committee. Students may elect to S/U a course through the seventh week of the term. See Michelle Donaghy Cannon to obtain the form or to petition for an exception. S/U forms must be signed by an advisor and submitted to the Registrar's Office. 

Is there an option for me to get an incomplete in a class?

If a student is unable to complete a course after the seventh week of the term and has completed at least 70% of the class, they may request an incomplete, but it is up to the Instructor to grant one. Incomplete Grade Contract

What is the deadline for withdrawing from a course? What happens if I withdraw?

The Academic Calendar will show the Priority Registration schedule and other registration deadlines. Please refer to the Registrar's website for information about withdrawing from a course. To find out how this may affect a student's financial aid please refer to the Financial Aid website on Satisfactory Academic Progress

What is the process for withdrawing from all courses and the university for the term?

Please refer to the Registrar's website on how to Withdraw for the Term. Please make sure to complete the withdrawal survey to complete the process. If a student is on Financial Aid they will need to contact the office of Financial Aid and may need to repay any aid that they have received. Please reference the Financial Aid website on withdrawing.

If I need to take a break from school what do I need to do? 

Students should contact their Faculty Advisor so they can put a Checklist Note in MyDegrees. Students may return to take courses within four terms (not including summer) without needing to reapply. If a student is absent four or more terms (not including summer) they need to apply for readmission. Please refer to the Returning Students information on the Registrar's office. 



How do I access MyDegrees?

Students can log in to MyOSU and will find MyDegrees under the Student tab. 

Where can I find the MyDegrees Tutorials?

Below is a tutorial Susie Dunham created on how to create a term plan in the MyDegrees planner. Each term students should create a future term plan before meeting with their advisor to obtain a registration PIN.

The Registrar's office has other MyDegrees tutorials for students, including videos on the Degree Checklist, What If, and GPA Calculator.

Here is a tutorial on how to upload your Specialization to MyDegrees


How do I change a course(s) in my specialization?

Corvallis campus students should contact Michelle Donaghy Cannon with changes for their specialization. Ecampus students should contact their advisor. If a student wants to significantly change their focus, they should prepare a new plan and meet with their advisor for approval. 

What are the Checklist Notes for?

Advisors should be recording a Checklist Note for a student each time they meet. This gives a detailed record of conversations including students' interests, concerns about their progress, or specific recommendations. These can be made confidential (internal) by the advisor if desired. 

What does it mean to have a locked plan in MyDegrees?

A locked plan prevents a student from changing courses. Specializations are locked after they are uploaded. Students may request a locked plan for a financial aid appeal by contacting their advisor.  

Retention & Academic Standing 

Faculty and students should all be familiar with the University's Academic Regulations.

What happens if I get a D or fail a class?

The Department follows the University's grading policy, a D- is passing. According to AR 20 If a student fails a class they can retake the course and the second grade is the one that counts towards their GPA only if they retake it at OSU. 

Courses that require a C- or better include the General Chemistry Series, Principles of Biology 211-213 (as a prereq to enroll in BI 370 Ecology), and Writing 121.

It is highly recommended for students to use the ALEKS Math Placement Test and Learning Modules to improve their math skills and test into a higher level math class. 

What should I do about being on academic warning, probation or suspension?

Students on academic warning or probation should contact Nancy Allen or their faculty advisor to discuss options for improving their success here at OSU. They should contact Nancy to get a hold removed if needed. In addition, students should read the regulations on Academic Standing and refer to the Registrar's Guide to Resources. Students on academic suspension should read the regulations on Academic Suspension and the guidelines for reinstatement. See OSU Resources below for helpful links. 

Where can I find resources for reporting academic misconduct?

In an academic community, faculty members play the most important role in maintaining academic standards. When an act of academic misconduct is observed or suspected, a process is in place to uniformly address such events.  Please follow the procedure outlined on the Academic Misconduct Reporting Forms website.  If you have further questions or need clarification, please call Student Conduct and Community Standards (SCCS) at (541) 737-3656.

Ecampus Instructors should pay careful attention to step 5 in each of the forms for specific information related to teaching an online course or contact Ecampus Learner Services for more information: 
OSU Ecampus Learner Services
4943 The Valley Library
Corvallis, OR 97331-4504
Phone: 541-737-4166 Fax: 541-737-6124 or 

OSU Resources

The Academic Success Center is one of the best resources for students. They offer a variety of services including academic peer coaching in a one-on-one format to help students work on improving their academic success. What is coaching? Watch this short video. All Academic Coaching appointments are free to undergraduate and graduate students. To schedule an appointment or a series of appointments, please call the Academic Success Center at 541-737-2272 or visit them in Waldo 102. Also, explore the Learning Corner for tips and strategies provided by the Academic Success Center and The Writing Center

For students that are struggling academically, ALS 116 – Academic Success is recommended. This is a great class that covers topics such as time management, goal setting, note taking, study skills, test-taking skills, and more.

The University has a useful page, see Corvallis Campus Student Resources.

It is highly recommended for students to use the ALEKS Math Placement Test and Learning Modules to improve their math skills and test into a higher level math class. 

Resources for Non-Traditional Students: Pride Center, LGBT, Cultural Centers, Educational Opportunities Program, University Exploratory Studies Program.

OSU has a great resource for Military and Veterans prior to admission and for students currently enrolled.  

Student Life Assistance for Faculty, Staff, and Advisor - For help with a student's unexpected life events, personal crises, and mental health struggles.

For students who are unsure they are in the right major please refer them to the University Exploratory Studies Program (UESP). There is also a course they can take, ALS 114 – Career Decision Making. This course helps students better understand who they are so they can make a better choice about what careers they should be interested in.

For students interested in graduate school, a GRAD 420 Graduate School Preparation course is offered for 1 credit each term. 

Look for resources from Career Services about Interviewing and Networking. 


Transfer Students or Dual Enrolled

Why are some of my transfer courses not showing up under my major in MyDegrees?

Sometimes a course doesn't satisfy OSU requirements. Students may petition to have a transfer course substitute for a baccalaureate core or departmental requirement. Michelle Donaghy Cannon handles transfer credit for Corvallis campus students, Ecampus students should contact their advisor.

Can I take courses at a Community College that count towards my degree?

Yes! Students may elect to take lower division courses at a community college and a good option is to be enrolled in the Degree Partnership Program. The following are subjects that students should focus on biology, general chemistry, mathematics, and the baccalaureate core requirements. Please refer to the How to Apply page, under Transferring Students, for specific course requirements.