The Department of Fisheries and Wildlife offers thesis programs leading to MS and PhD degrees in both Fisheries and Wildlife sciences.

Students completing their MS degree in the Fisheries and Wildlife Department at Oregon State University can continue for a PhD; students can also switch into a PhD program without completing a Master's degree first. Changing programs always requires the approval of the students graduate committee and the FW Department Head and there must be a funding plan appropriate for the PhD in place. If the student is entering a PhD program without first completing their Master's degree, the student should be prepared to complete a second research based on the PhD proposal even if they have previously completed a research review while in ther Master's program. 

To begin the process a letter from the student’s major professor must be submitted to the Department Head and the FW Graduate Program Coordinator and the student must submit a Change of Degree Program Request Form to the Graduate School.