Frequently Asked Questions


All Undergraduate Students (Corvallis and Ecampus)

Current Faculty and Students can use the Advising Resources webpage 

What kind of jobs can I get and who will I be working for? 

See our Survey of Graduates Report

What is the undergraduate enrollment in Fisheries and Wildlife?

Our undergraduate program has grown to approximately 900 students. Spring term 2017 we have 200 students registered earning their degree on campus and 400 students registered earning their degree online through Ecampus. Around 300 additional students have been admitted and are not currently enrolled.

How do I find out how my courses transfer?

Transfer or Post Baccalaureate students can refer to our How To Apply page and review the information for transfer course articulations.  

How do my Biology classes transfer?

Current or admitted students may petition their biology courses by filling out the Biology Course/Series Equivalency Petition

Can I take some of my courses at a community college?

Yes! students can take up to two years of coursework at a community college. See information for Transferring Students to learn more. You also have the option of being dual enrolled and taking courses concurrently at Oregon State University and a community college partner. Learn more about the Degree Partnership Program.

I've only taken campus-based courses, what should I expect in on online class?

Oregon State Ecampus is the online education unit at OSU and is considered one of the nation’s best providers of online education. Although the learning outcomes in Ecampus courses are identical to those in OSU’s on-campus classes, being an online learner requires some adjustment. Read more about Learning Online at Oregon State

What will be my tuition rate? What if I take a mixture of Ecampus and Corvallis Campus courses?

Ecampus (same price for Oregon residents, out-of-state residents, and international residents)
Corvallis Campus
Summer Session (all tuition is in-state)

See the Tuition Comparison Chart to compare Ecampus and Corvallis Campus rates. Students taking a mixture of courses pay separate tuition and fees for each campus and those are added together. This can end up being quite expensive so students should talk to an advisor if they are unsure what to do.  

Should I major in Fisheries & Wildlife Sciences or Natural Resources? What about Environmental Sciences? What are the differences among these degrees?

Read more about the differences among these scientific disciplines and degree programs.

Simply put, Fisheries & Wildlife graduates are aimed at careers that focus on management, conservation, research, policy, education, and enforcement as they relate specifically to fish or wildlife; Natural Resources graduates are aimed at careers that focus on management of all natural resources, including but not restricted to fish and wildlife, and also to careers in public education enforcement and policy; Environmental Sciences graduates are aimed at research and monitoring positions but can also work in management-related careers.

What are some of the Writing Intensive Courses? What are the best ones to take as a Fisheries and Wildlife Sciences major?

These courses FW 435, FW 439, FW 454, or FW 497 are highly recommended for Fisheries and Wildlife Sciences students. 

Where can I get an Internship form? 

You can find internship information on our Internship web page and forms on our Steps to Get Credit section of Job & Internship Resources.

What is the Fisheries and Wildlife First Year Experience? 

Over the course of a freshman student's first year, the student will meet five times with an assigned First Year Experience Advisor. At the end of their fifth appointment, the student will be assigned their permanent Faculty Advisor. 

How do I gain research experience as a Fisheries and Wildlife undergraduate? 

Two primary ways to gain research experience as an undergraduate are through the National Science Foundation (NSF) Research Experiences for Undergraduate (REU) program and with an OSU faculty member.

The NSF funds and supports undergraduate research at universities across the nation. The prestige associated with these world-class research experiences will reflect well on a resume and connect students to a wide professional network.

At OSU, students can do research with a faculty member. Research can show up in two ways on your transcript. Students can do formalized research for credit or have a research notation added to your transcript. The OSU Undergraduate Research Scholarship and the Arts (URSA) site shows the steps to take as well as how to find funding for research projects.